Macildowie have been ‘Building Great Futures’ in Newark since 1993. Newark-on-Trent or Newark is a market town with a population of 27,700 in 2011. British Sugar PLC runs a mill on the outskirts of Newark that opened in 1921. It has over 130 permanent employees and processes and 1.6 million tonnes of sugar beet produced, with around 250,000 tonnes being processed and supplied to food and drink manufacturers in the UK and across Europe.
Newark-on-Trent is a market town filled with history. The town is home to a large cobbled market square which is overlooked by the Town Hall and has become famous for 6 annual antique fairs. It is said to be one of the most interesting towns on the River Trent with a wealth of historic buildings. Newark was once an important centre of the wool and cloth trade.
It is home to Newark Castle, which was built by the Bishop of Lincoln in 1073 which replaced an earlier Saxon manor house. It was rebuilt in stone in the 12th century, along with the Newark Town Walls. When the Civil War hit, the castle and town endured three sieges. During This time extensive earthwork defences were built. The ruins of the castle still stand today, if you’re interested in the town's connections with the Civil War then a visit to the Town Museum holds a large collection of Civil War artefacts.
Now the town is a busy place with a thriving industry and modern homes, however much of its history and charm can still be seen throughout the town. Including the Georgian Town Hall. The Georgian architecture is outstanding and houses one of the finest assembly rooms in the country.